The majority of us love to watch fireworks and the majority of men love the opportunity to put on a display for the children in the back garden. Before rushing out to buy your fireworks consider these safety tips and maybe consider attending a local organised event where the display will be better and your children will be safer.
Do not allow under 5s to hold sparklers. Teach young children to stand still with the sparklers and to hold them at arms length. Young children should wear gloves and stand a good distance from their friends. Remember that sparklers are very hot even when they have gone out so immediately put the hot end into a bucket of water or a pot of soil when they have finished.
Planning the event
- . Only purchase fireworks that are suitable for your garden.
- . Inform your neighbours you will be letting off fireworks.
- . Find a clear space in your garden where the fireworks will be lit.
- . Set aside a safe area where your children will be able to watch.
- . Have a bucket of water ready.
- . Have a torch ready for reading lighting instructions.
On the Night
- . Supervise your children at all times.
- . Keep your pets indoors.
- . Do not read instructions with a naked flame.
- . Wear gloves and safety glasses.
- . Do not drink alcohol.
- . Do not return to an already lit firework.
- . Stand well back from the fireworks.
- . It is illegal to let off fireworks after 11pm
If you do decide you would like to attend an organised event then we have some listed here in our What's on section - Firework DisplaysIf you know of an event or are organising an event you would like to share with other members then please add it here (please include the word Fireworks in the event title). Add a Firework Event The firework image was supplied by Bigfoto.com