Posted by: Jemima Wishart Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Posts: 1
Choking is a terrifying experience for both child and parent. Advice on action is, of course, of paramount importance. However parents should be aware that there is a product - openly available in every grocery outlet, newsagent, supermarket, petrol station - that is a significant - but unreported - choking hazard to our childrenm. Parents, just be warned. The product is a 'surprise' chocolate egg. The DTI advisers have found that the safety warnings (incidentally the only ones carried on any confectionery on sale in the UK) are frequently illegible as the foil outer is creased when wrapped round the chocolate egg. These products have resulted in the death of a number of children (3 in the UK) and a terrifying experience of choking in many, many others - happily saved from greater trauma by the intervention of an adult. Doctors, safety and consumer organisation throughout Europe would like to see such products banned but, sadly, legislators are not heeding this advice. So please just be warned - a little treat can cause death.
Complain About This Post Posted: 30/Aug/07 at 13:47:03
Posted by: ArchieFergus Dover Kent Posts: 1
I gather that there have been hundreds of choking incidents around Europe because children smell the chocolate on the toy parts and pop them into their mouths. Isn't it extraordinary that Mattel was responsible enough to withdraw its products because of only the possibility that they might cause harm, yet Kinder Surprise - which has killed children - stays on the shelves and the manufacturer, retailers and Government turn a blind eye?
Complain About This Post Posted: 04/Sep/07 at 11:45:19